GRIMMINGER PARIS IMAGES OF AMERICA (PARIS OH)
GRIMMINGER PARIS IMAGES OF AMERICA. (PARIS OH) In 1806, Rudolph Bair came to Ohio from Pennsylvania and settled on one of the highest points in Stark County and called it Paris. After its establishment in 1814, this town became an important center of business and the arts. As a stagecoach stop on the main road from Pittsburgh to the West, this village evolved into a hub of American culture. By the late 1800s, Paris had dry goods stores, a drug store, two hotels, wagon factories, harness shops, shoe shops, blacksmith shops, a meat market, mills, a vinegar factory, and three churches. Local farmers also came to Paris to do business, worship in Paris�s churches, and absorb the latest news. The legacy of this village and its surrounding farmland lives on here in photographs, artifacts, and descendents of early settlers.
About the Author
Dr. Daniel Jay Grimminger is a lifelong member of the Paris Community. He holds a Ph.D. (University of Pittsburgh), Doctor of Church Music (Claremont Graduate University), and a M.A. (Trinity Lutheran Seminary). He has served as the archivist for Israel's Lutheran Church in Paris and as assistant archivist for the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America at Columbus. He taught at Mount Union College in Alliance and resides on the old Charles Lutz Farm.